Thursday 3 October 2013

The Canterbury Derive

A dérive:  "is an unplanned journey through a landscape, usually urban, on which the subtle aesthetic contours of the surrounding architecture and geographysubconsciously direct the travellers, with the ultimate goal of encountering an entirely new and authentic experience."

I was asked to complete a dérive through notes, recordings and images. I've decided to share my findings with you, and: the result of my "unplanned journey" of Canterbury Christ Church University.

Directed by tweets by @Heidi_Colthup, my lecturer at CCCU; I left Ramsey, and headed out from the building towards Touchdown, but was halted by Hannah, who "needed a fag". And so, I photographed by surroundings:

























I then continued my derive with the tweets:


#cccuDerive What’s under your feet right now?



#cccuDerive take a left turn NOW ;) 










#cccuDerive find something RED – photograph it


 






#cccuDerive Find an old wall



#cccuDerive Find some writing around you. Collect FIVE words




#cccuDerive Find somewhere to write. Sit & write for 10 minutes. Write ANYTHING.









 So there we go, the unplanned journey, and it led me to a leaf on a page and a jumble of words.... at least it stopped raining!

Mel x







No comments:

Post a Comment